Wednesday, January 21, 2015

COMIC BOOK FAKERS

NOTE: Just a quick comment, this past week's review was done in conjunction with Drawn to Comics it was for Star Wars #1 and can be read here:  http://drawntocomics.com/star-wars-1-marvel-welcomes-home-old-friend/

Okay, this is one of my trademark rants. Something I just need to get off my chest. I know this will offend some people, but I just don’t care.

COMIC BOOK FAKERS

We’ve all meet them, the people who claim to love comic books, but have never actually read one. This has only grown ten-fold in the last decade with the plethora of comic book adaptations. It can be quiet annoying at times.

I once meet a man at a comic book stores many years ago who made the bold claim of being the “Biggest Superman fan in the world.” Yes, those were his exact words. Superman (’77) is/was his favorite film of all time. However, he had never read the comic books. Not one.

I recently had a date that quite disappointed me. She talked herself up as a comic book fan, quiet beautiful and nice personality. During the date it turned out she didn’t read comics, and doesn’t like them. She just likes the movies.

Here is my point, if you like the films, GREAT. Please, continue to like them. But do not confuse being a fan of comic book movies with being a fan of comic books. If you don’t read comic books, how are you a fan?

I’m not really saying this to offend anyone. It is just annoying to me. Especially when I run into people who contradict something I say because it didn’t happen in the movie that way.

Case in point, a complete stranger once interrupted lunch to ‘correct’ me, and tell me that it was Mary Jane who was thrown off the bridge, not Gwen Stacy. Obviously a fan of the movie, but never read the comics.

What’s worst is those people who jump on comics because they are the ‘cool’ in thing. True fans were reading long before comics became ‘in,’ and will continue to do so long after they are ‘out.’

Just my rant.

Ace Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment